You may already know that one of the important organs in the human body is the lungs. It is where we breathe in oxygen, and breathe out carbon dioxide. The lungs, having a very special and important role to our respiratory system, is the one responsible for distributing oxygen all throughout our body to be able to function normally. It also filters all other polluted and toxic elements that we unconsciously inhale.
But what if our lungs fail to function the way it should be? Simply – we die. Among the common reasons why people die these days are related to respiratory health problems, mainly because the lungs malfunction. A lot of human activities can either directly or indirectly affect our lungs, from smoking, second-hand smoking and air pollution.
Common Lungs and Respiratory Health Problems
For the purpose of awareness, let us just enumerate the respiratory health problems that most people suffer from either due to direct or indirect causes.
Lung Diseases on that Affects the Airways
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Chronic Bronchitis
- Cystic Fibrosis
Lung Diseases Affecting the Air Sacs
- Pulmonary Edema
- Lung Cancer
- Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome
These lung diseases had already claimed many lives, and many more are to come if awareness on how to take care of the respiratory system is not disseminated to communities.
So, what are the ways to take care of the respiratory system?
- Do not smoke. Of course, smoking is dangerous to your health. Everyone knows that. It is because of the ingredients used in the cigarette that harms your lungs and if you continue to smoke, nonetheless you might become a candidate for lung cancer.
- Avoid second hand smoke. Not only do smokers become candidates for lung cancer. The effect of cigarette smoking can be doubled through second hand smoking. This is because those who inhale cigarette smoke breathe in all of it directly going to their lungs – unlike smokers who breathe out the smoke after they inhale it.
- Avoid air pollution. There is air pollution everywhere and we cannot easily avoid that. But one thing is for sure – we can reduce air pollution by planting more trees and plants.
- Wash your hands frequently. Washing your hands can also contribute in making your respiratory system healthy.
- Exercise daily. Having daily exercise can help strengthen your respiratory system. One of the best exercise routine to strengthen your respiratory systems is swimming.